[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Previous Student Evaluations of this unit

If you wish to view how previous students rated this unit, please go to

Required Resources

The lab sessions will require the use of Linux (Ubuntu), installed on bootable USB Keys. The software will be provided to students during their first lab session.

Unit Schedule

Week Date* Activities Assessment
0 21/02/11   No formal assessment or activities are undertaken in week 0
1 28/02/11 Hardware I: Introduction to Digital Computers  
2 07/03/11 Operating Systems I: Introduction to Operating Systems  
3 14/03/11 Operating Systems II: Memory Management - Virtual Memory  
4 21/03/11 Operating Systems III: File Management  
5 28/03/11 Operating Systems III: File Management Continued  
6 04/04/11 Operating Systems IV: Process Management Concepts  
7 11/04/11 Operating Systems V: Process Management: Deadlocks and IPC  
8 18/04/11 8 Operating Systems VI : More Unix Shell basics  
Mid semester break
9 02/05/11 Operating Systems VII : Unix Shell Scripting  
10 09/05/11 Operating Systems VII : Unix Shell Scripting Continued  
11 16/05/11 Hardware II: Secondary Storage Devices  
12 23/05/11 Hardware III: CPU, Memory & System Performance  
  30/05/11 SWOT VAC No formal assessment is undertaken in SWOT VAC

*Please note that these dates may only apply to Australian campuses of Monash University. Off-shore students need to check the dates with their unit leader.

Assessment Policy

To pass a unit which includes an examination as part of the assessment a student must obtain:

  • 40% or more in the unit's examination, and
  • 40% or more in the unit's total non-examination assessment, and
  • an overall unit mark of 50% or more.

If a student does not achieve 40% or more in the unit examination or the unit non-examination total assessment, and the total mark for the unit is greater than 50% then a mark of no greater than 49-N will be recorded for the unit

Assessment Tasks


  • Assessment task 1
    Lab Assessments
    There are no formal assignments for this unit. However, each lab session has a set of assessable tasks to be completed. The tasks involve installing/configuring the Linux O/S and associated applications. The tasks are worth 40% of the unit's total marks. The remaining 60% comes from the final exam.
    Criteria for assessment:

    Students will be assessed on how well they carry out the tasks during each lab session.

    Due date:
    Tasks are due during each lab.


  • Examination 1
    2 hours
    Type (open/closed book):
    Closed book
    Electronic devices allowed in the exam:

Assignment submission

Assignment coversheets are available via "Student Forms" on the Faculty website: http://www.infotech.monash.edu.au/resources/student/forms/
You MUST submit a completed coversheet with all assignments, ensuring that the plagiarism declaration section is signed.

Extensions and penalties

Returning assignments


Monash has educational policies, procedures and guidelines, which are designed to ensure that staff and students are aware of the University's academic standards, and to provide advice on how they might uphold them. You can find Monash's Education Policies at:

Key educational policies include:

Student services

The University provides many different kinds of support services for you. Contact your tutor if you need advice and see the range of services available at www.monash.edu.au/students The Monash University Library provides a range of services and resources that enable you to save time and be more effective in your learning and research. Go to http://www.lib.monash.edu.au or the library tab in my.monash portal for more information. Students who have a disability or medical condition are welcome to contact the Disability Liaison Unit to discuss academic support services. Disability Liaison Officers (DLOs) visit all Victorian campuses on a regular basis

[an error occurred while processing this directive]